Resource Generation is currently hiring:
Apply to jobs through Bamboo HR, our hiring platform, at the links below. Please do not email staff. Thank you!
At Resource Generation, we pride ourselves on offering benefits that reflect our commitment to equity and inclusivity. Our extensive range of benefits is the product of years of listening to and working with the needs and wants of our past and present staff from poor, working-class, middle-class, BIPOC, queer, and trans communities. You can find our full list of benefits here.
Resource Generation (RG) is recruiting for a Finance Manager to lead and support our financial management.
Resource Generation is a national multi-racial, membership-based organization mobilizing young people (age 18-35) with wealth and class privilege in the U.S. to become transformative leaders working towards the equitable distribution of wealth, land, and power. The broader Resource Generation community includes people of all ages and class backgrounds who support the role that young people with wealth play in social change. RG has 18 chapters in cities around the U.S., and our chapters engage in base-building, political education programming, running giving circles, engaging in local and national campaigns, and building local organizational relationships. Resource Generation is proud to have 1200+ dues-paying members who collectively made $100M in pledges to social justice movements in 2021. RG is 90% funded by our members.
Resource Generation operates on a 32-hour workweek schedule (generally Monday-Thursday). We currently have 23 full-time staff and are a multi-class and multi-racial team. We especially encourage those who are Black, Indigenous, and people of color; trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people; and people from poor and working-class backgrounds to apply.
Overview of role:
RG seeking a full-time Finance Manager. This person will be responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the organization. They should be adept and experienced in understanding the financial statements and budgets of a non-profit organization. They will exercise a high level of attention to detail, timeliness, and accuracy. They should have an authoritative understanding of financial concepts and terms and be able to communicate this information to staff with less familiarity with organizational financial matters. They value open communication, can work with remote staff across the country, and can manage multiple priorities at once. The Finance Manager will work with our external bookkeeper and will utilize our work and project management systems, database, and digital file storage system.
The Finance Manager’s overall success will be measured by the smooth, timely, and accurate functioning of our financial systems. Resource Generation has a $4.5M budget and 23 full-time staff and is over 90% funded by general operating support from our 1,200+ members.
The Finance Manager will be joining a 4-person Operations Team and a highly collaborative work environment. This position will report to the Deputy Director. We use a decentralized leadership structure called Collab.
Oversee and Manage RG’s Financial Systems
- Oversee financial operations and financial systems across the organization
- Ensure financial systems are compliant with standard accounting practices fraud and error-free
- Maintain error-free and accurate budget and finance spreadsheets and other financial documents
- Deliver monthly, quarterly, and annual financial dashboard reporting and metrics
- Create and oversee documentation of internal accounting and finance policies, procedures
- Manage day-to-day financial management including processing weekly payments to vendors and staff reimbursements in coordination with Operations and Projects Coordinator and external accountant.
- On a weekly basis, meet with an external accountant to coordinate financial reconciliation processes
- Develop monthly finance packet in collaboration with other Operations team members
- On a monthly basis, review financial statements for RG and our c4 sibling organization RG Action, for accuracy and to flag any major changes in income and expenses.
- Develop, manage, and track cash flow on a monthly basis
- Ensure adherence to Operating Fund Policy and Emergency Reserve policy
- On a quarterly basis, manage the financial transactions and reconciliations between RG and RG Action
- Ensure financial tracking is timely, accurate, and error-free
Staff & Vendor Support
- Provide leadership to staff by providing effective support across all teams, in the areas of Finance
- Communicate with vendors and staff on any financial matters including accounts payable, accounts receivable, benefit costs, and payroll
- Serve as a collaborative partner to Directors, development and program teams, and board finance committee to provide financial analysis and support.
- Communicate and coordinate with staff to submit monthly credit card receipts and code expenses
- Lead on-boarding for new staff on financial systems and financial policies
- Assist in resolving any discrepancies, disputes, or errors in any financial matters
Liaison to Board Finance Committee
- Manage schedule and overall budget of webinars, collaborating with organizing team and members to determine priorities and topics
- Lead on or assist with content of webinars
- Create projected webinar schedule with room for emerging content to be added
Liaison to Board Finance Committee
- On a quarterly basis, work with the Deputy Director to develop the finance narrative for the board of directors and executive team meetings.
- Serve as liaison to the board finance committee and lead quarterly meetings.
Audit & Year-End Closeout
- Work with an external accountant to assist with the annual organizational audit
- Coordinate with external accountant in preparation, review, and filing of annual 990 Lead the annual year-end fiscal close-out process
Mid-Year Budget Review and Yearly Budgeting
- Lead mid-year budget review by meeting with Directors and program teams to review financial statements
- On an annual basis lead participatory budgeting process with staff teams and external bookkeeper
Core qualifications and required skills:
- Experienced in Financial Management: Demonstrated experience in the financial management of a non-profit organization including an authoritative understanding of financial concepts, financial statements, budgets, and cash flow.
- Financial Leadership: Experience leading financial processes and management including monthly financial reconciliations, quarterly financial reviews, leading annual budgeting process, and coordinating an annual audit.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills: Experience in financial analysis and ability to communicate this information with staff less familiar with financial matters; can work remotely with a national team; ability to communicate in a timely manner via email, phone, and chat.
- Attention to detail: Can manage multiple spreadsheets and a large amount of data with minimal mistakes.
- Excellent organizational skill: ability to handle multiple priorities with attention to detail and in a timely manner as well as flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Self-directed, persistent, creative, and solution-oriented: Can work remotely, plan effectively to meet goals, communicate in a timely and responsive way, and can spend many hours a day on a computer.
- Dedicated Team Member: Can manage own workload while responding to emerging and ongoing organizational needs, and be flexible and open to shifting priorities and timelines.
- Ability to build strong relationships across differences: Demonstrated skills in building trust and working with a wide range of people across class, race, gender, and sexual orientation.
The ideal candidate is someone who:
- Demonstrated 5+ years of experience in financial management or accounting of an organization with at least a $3 million budget.
- Experience managing and working with external finance consultants
- Experience with leading an annual budgeting process
- Familiarity with healing justice; commitment to your own transformation & healing from oppressive systems
- Fluency with databases and digital tools including Bill.com, Expensify, Microsoft Excel, Google Suites, SLACK, and Asana.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice: Believes in the stake young wealthy folks have in collective liberation and the possibility and necessity of cross-class and multiracial movement building.
If you are excited by this position but don’t meet all the requirements, we encourage you to apply. We recognize that all candidates may not be strong in all of the areas listed. We also welcome learning about the strengths and talents that you do have to bring to this role that may not be fully captured in our list.
Compensation, Benefits, and the Application Process:
Salary: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $70,000-$80,000 based on regional cost of living and additional experience brought to the role.
Benefits: RG offers excellent benefits including 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance; majority employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance for partners, spouses, and families. We offer 100% employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; medical and transit flexible spending account with a $500 employer contribution; 403(b) retirement plan with a 5% employer contribution after one year of employment, parental leave (up to 6 months within the first year after birth, adoption, or fostering), as well as an 8-week paid sabbatical after 4 years of employment. We also offer 15 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and a minimum of 1 week office closure in late December. RG provides professional development funds; initial home office tech set-up and a monthly office supply/co-working allowance.
Location & Travel: The Finance Manager and work remotely from anywhere in the continental US and is expected to be available between the hours of 1-4 pm EST to accommodate staff across time zones. Travel is expected approximately 4 times a year.
Staff Culture: RG is grounded in feminist and social justice principles. We engage in revolving identity-based caucuses and bi-monthly political education sessions. RG is a highly dynamic and fast-paced organization. Our working culture is highly collaborative and we spend a considerable amount of time goal setting and work planning to ensure staff are empowered and supported to be successful in their positions. Staff collaborate to support hiring processes, annual budgeting, and event programming. We engage in group wellness practices every quarter and support one another to counter a culture of overwork. We recognize that paid work is only one aspect of our lives and encourage each other to take breaks and paid time off.
Timeline and Hiring Process: There will be up to two interviews for selected qualified applicants. Candidates may be asked to complete an assessment/exercise and/or share a presentation (if any of these are requested, you will be compensated for your efforts). All interviews will take place via Zoom.
September 22 – October 14: Applications open
October 23 – November 2: 1st round interviews
November 13 – 16: Finalist interviews
By November 22: Offer made
December 11: Start date (negotiable)
How to Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter through BambooHR by October 14. As part of the application process, you will be asked, “What interests you about working at Resource Generation?” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Your cover letter should address how you meet the core qualifications and skills for this position and any applicable experience that might not be captured in your resume. Please also address the following:
- How do you keep track of multiple projects with competing deadlines?
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to offer specific feedback to applicants who are not invited to interview.
Accommodations: If additional, reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the application and interview process, please email [email protected].
Resource Generation is an equal opportunity employer, and accordingly, promotes equal opportunity in the areas of recruitment, employment, training, development, transfer, and promotion. Our employment practices are without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or medical condition, national origin or ancestry, marital and veteran status, and all other categories protected by anti-discrimination laws.
Apply for the Finance Manager position on Resource Generation Bamboo HR site.